April 24, 2008

Fresh Legs, What A Treat!

I just got in from a really nice 45m sundown run here in Squamish. It was 'really nice' cause there was zero pressure to run a certain distance, a certain pace, or a certain elapsed time. I was about to strap my watch to my wrist when I realized that there just was no need to bring it along this time. I put it down, left the house, was on the trail in five seconds as per usual, and simply ran how I saw fit to.

I only really needed to get my feet moving so as to keep everything in working order until next weekend. It never ceases to amaze me how my body often seems to seize up as much or even more from inactivity as it does from pushing myself through big training weeks. Either way I felt great and decided to run a really good pace on a flattish 45min circular route. I honestly have not felt this fresh in months, in fact I spent most of my run trying to remember the last time I felt so good, and I traced it back to February's Yeti Snowshoe Race on Mt Seymour, way back on Feb 2nd...almost three months ago! Albeit this was the race where I finally pushed my calves over the edge and ended up unable to run for a full month thereafter, nonetheless my legs were fresh, I was climbing strong and I had my best snowshoe race to date.

Something else that certainly was not hurting my running tonight was that almost a months worth of stress was completely relieved yesterday afternoon with four simple words,

"You've got the place."

I kindly held the phone away from my mouth as I went into a spastic celebration for a few minutes. Once I returned the phone to my ear I heard the very stoic German gentleman who I had to go through to get this unit laughing out loud! I can't believe how fortunate I was to have found such a great apartment as it truly is by far the best unit I was able to locate in a full month of searching. The German guy, who's name is Roland, took a liking to Roxy right from the start and actually made a few exceptions for us. Roxy is no longer 60 pounds (of pure muscle), she is 25, and her bread is no longer Husky - Sheppard (or Doberman, still not quite sure on this), it is officially MIXED. I ain't asking questions, that's for sure, just give me the keys and you'll never hear a peep out of us!

I'm going to hit up an early morning road ride before embarking on one of my final commutes to North Van...I may even take the time to enjoy the drive this time!

I noticed the following quote at the bottom of an e-mail my Dad sent me. I could not find who wrote it, but it did strike a cord. I have been fortunate enough throughout my travels to have seen first hand that I made a difference in a few people's lives with some well timed words from the heart, and have indeed had this come back to me as well. You really never know what someone else is facing in their lives, and all too often we, me included of course, can forget this.

Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life.

GR

No comments: