April 16, 2010

Running Stupid Interview


Back in January while racing the HURT 100 miler in Hawaii I met a guy by the name of Ken Michal.

During the race itself this guy had a completely infectious energy about him and he seemed to know each and every person by name. Every time I saw him he was smiling from ear to ear and laughing out loud. He was stopping to give people encouragement hugs during the actual race, and in the end he claimed a coveted 100km belt buckle.


We chatted a bit after the race and exchanged e-mails. At the time I had no idea that Ken was a bit of a celebrity within the scene as he hosts his own program called 'Running Stupid'!

When he shot me an e-mail and asked if I'd be interested in an interview I was fully flattered and I jumped at the opportunity.

It was just posted on Thursday and Ken tells me it's been getting good 'download numbers' so far, so at least it wasn't a waste of his time!

You can either stream it via this link, or find it under 'Running Stupid' in iTunes itself, which you could then download to a portable device if you so choose.

Here is the link to Ken's Running Stupid website, and his Facebook page, be sure to follow along, just consider yourself warned though, if you do...you'll become an official STUPIDHEAD!

Oh yeah, and like most things involving me and story telling, it's long. If you commute to work however, you might get through half of it on the way in and the other half on the way home...or you might need two days if you live close to work...either way, if you listen to five minutes or the whole damn thing, I hope you enjoy it, and thanks again KEN!

All Day!

GR

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU, Gary!!! The interview was a lot of fun!

Best of luck on your Conquer the Coasts Challenge!!!

See you at Miwok!

All Day!
~Ken
coachken@runningstupid.net

Isaac said...

That made an awesome episode, I'll be listening to it a few times at least!

Anonymous said...

I did make it through the whole show, even if that did take "All day!"

I won't be at Miwok since I'm doing The Relay for the first time this year, but good luck!

Gary Robbins said...

Thanks Ken, and thanks guys for the positive feedback, and well wishes for Miwok!

Best of luck to everyone in their own running pursuits this year!

GR

Hans Stutz said...

Awesome interview! Will be following you and wish you luck in everything. Definatly an inspiration! All Day!!!

Unknown said...

Great Interview Gary! It was perfect for my long, long run today :-) ALL DAY!

wiglebot said...

That was great -- funny too, I listened to the entire thing on my ipod and was trying to tell my wife about it while we were making ravioli from scratch. It all worked perfect, I think you just improved my marriage.

Jude said...

too cool! Good work.

juDE.

Gary Robbins said...

HAHA, improved a marriage, that's a first! Glad I could help out, lol.

GR

The Sean said...

All Day

Ultra Disco Stu said...

Yeah agreed. Ken is awesome and it was a great episode and lots of good tips for ultra runners gary so thanks very much. Good luck in your future of ultras. disco stu (england)

Jason Eads said...

Finally was able to listen to the whole interview - fantastic stuff, Gary. I especially liked the bit about how you maintain pace running technical terrain at night be making sure you're looking ahead, not down.

Miwok will be a great one - enjoy the ride!

Jason Eads said...

Oh, and:

ALL DAY!

Jason

Ryan Peters said...

Awesome interview. Thanks Mr. Robbins and Coach Ken, that was an inspiring and motivating interview...and it was seriously funny. I am a new Gary Robbins fan, and I will be sure to check back in with the blog. Thanks to both of you for sharing for us new runners!

Ryan Peters said...

...All Day! I did listen to the end...hahaha!

zippoo said...

ALL DAY!!!!!!

Brian said...

Great interview! I really enjoyed it. Good thing work was slow, as it did take All Day.
Best of luck at Miwok.
Brian

Gary Robbins said...

Ken told me he had a solid following but I'm honestly amazed at how many people made it through the entire episode! Nice to read all the positive feedback, I'm honored to be an official 'stupidhead'!

GR

LostTrailRunner said...

Great interview, I listened all the way to the end. ALL DAY!